Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Kashmiri Korma

In Kashmiri its called Kashmiri Dhaniwal or Korma as outsiders know it. I had this on my visit last year to Srinagar. If you ever get the opportunity to visit Srinagar, don't let it go. Amazing, Serene, Stunning these words don't even live up to Kashmir's beauty. I wish I had visited Srinagar earlier, with the unfortunate war and curfews I could only spend 4 days, but it will still be on my list of places to visit when I'm in India again.
This dish is made with yogurt and saffron. A rich dish which I suggest you to serve for guests or special occasions. I served it with naan bread and mint-chilli pan fried potatoes to keep it simple, however in Kashmiri Wazwan (cuisine) they serve it with Kashmiri Pulao.




1 cup milk
A good pinch of saffron
1kg mutton cut washed and drained
1-2 tbsp ghee
5 whole elaichi
6 cloves
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 large onion
1 1/2 cup yogurt
Freshly chopped coriander
1 julienned onion, sauté in ghee and cumin seeds for garnish.

1. Soak a good pinch of saffron in 1 cup of milk, simmering on low heat. Keep aside.

2. In a pressure cooker, cook the meat for 2-3 whistles, with the salt and ginger garlic. Keep aside.

3. In a nonstick pot, melt the ghee and fry the elaichi, cloves, cinnamon stick, once brown add the finely chopped the onions then add crush the garlic.

4. Once brown, add coriander and cumin powder, tumeric powder, pepper and salt. Roast for a minute or two.

5. Add the yogurt and milk. Cook for 2 mins. Then add the meat, without the water. Cook for 10mins till meat is soft. Add reserved water from pressure cooker if the yogurt dries out. Finish off with freshly chopped coriander lwaves and julienned onions sautee with cumin seeds.

This dish isn't a spicy one, so if you want an added kick add some green chili masala whilw adding the spices.

I apologise for my absence,  with Ramadan around the corner and savoury making, I just did mot get the time to post.




No comments:

Post a Comment