Monday, July 14, 2014

The Rolls Royce of Beef

I's a red meat lover, would prefer meat anyday over fish and chicken. I think my husband too and with Ramadan everything is either meat or chicken and rarely seafood. Sundays I generally like to cook 'akhalwaya' style but Saturday I was invited for iftar at a friends. She specifically told me not to bring anything and its my day off, but I can't sit idle and neither could the fillet in my freezer. So I took that out to defrost thinking of what I can make for Sunday so I'm prepared in advance. The thing about Ramadan is you think you can eat alot when you break fast, but at iftar you can't even half of what you have prepared. Since its only hubby and I, I sliced the fillet where it makes 'V' just enough for us. Baby potatoes and mushroom are perfect with it. I did not use exact measurements because my fillet was small, the bigger the fillet the more spices you need to add.

Pepper Fillet topped with Masala Mushroom served with Roasted Baby Potatoes and Garlic Bread

Beef fillet, trimmed off fat and threads, washed and drained
Fresh ground pepper
Lemon Pepper
Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Green chilli paste
1/2 tsp barbeque spice
1/2 tsp steaks and chops spice

Marinate the fillet overnight.
Sear the steak on a hot nonstick frying pan with some oil on all sides, thereafter toss in oven of 180 degrees till done. About 10-15 mins depending on the size of your steak.
Once done, slice steak - I don't like a pink steak- and top with masala mushroom sauce

Masala Mushroom Sauce

Mushrooms that you prefer, I used portobello, sliced length wise
Onion slices length wise
Tomato Paste
Portuguese Sauce - the hot one, not alot of it.
Dhana Jeero Powder
Chilli Powder
Salt to taste.

In a saucepan add a stick of butter and sautee onions till pink, add mushrooms and cook till soft.
Add some tomato paste, till it melts and add spices. Top with fresh chopped coriander.

Baby Potatoes
Olive oil
Lemon Pepper
Salt
Parsely
Rosemary
Thyme

Toss together and bake in preheated oven of 180deg till done.

Garlic Bread - just buy from the store 😂

3 comments:

  1. Please specify what brand of Portuguese sauce you used..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naadz I used one that is made in Nelspruit. You could use a prego sauce as well, it depends on how spicy you like your food to be.

    ReplyDelete